PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic and Traffic Service
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2015, 10:39
soaringhigh650

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the engine quits or things go to shyte over the highlands I don't have to spend the valuable and limited time I have "introducing" myself as they already know even without radar coverage who I am , where I am coming from and going to, and what my current approximate position is based on the average speed of a spam can which should be enough to vector the cavalry to my approximate position then my fancy ELT that's registered with the emergency services will hopefully pinpoint my position from there and allow them to deliver any emergency resources needed such as first aid or Marlboros.
Isn't that what a VFR flight plan is for? You file the plan. They have your details. You listen on frequency. You transmit when you have an emergency. They determine your position via radar and triangulating your radio transmission.

Then there's no need to introduce yourself and spend time trying to explain everything.

If every man and his dog calls up trying to give their details just in case they might have an emergency, there will be no radio space left when you really do have an emergency!