PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Secret Unicom Trial at Hervey Bay
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2015, 07:27
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Don't be ridiculous Dick. You're a businessman; do you really think you'd have one of your "existing" staff at the airport with enough spare time to monitor and provide the weather, let alone a traffic service? A baggage chucker or Check-in chick running the Unicom or just on the radio? You really need to get out into the real world and see what goes on these days. Most airports do not have spare people floating around to do what you got in the USA in the halcyon days of scantily-clad girls on the top of Follow-Me vans ushering you to the parking bay.

And what about the AOC holder and the hundreds of punters in the back? This is 2015 and any Tom, Dick or Harry spouting off on the radio giving his opinion on the traffic picture () is not going to wash, nor should it. Now your suggestion/political bludgeoning of the Firies doing it after doing a proper course made a bit of sense, but who's going to pay? The big boys certainly don't need the service so why should they pay?

I said it before and I'll say it again: we have Beepbacks and AWIS. Technology replacing unreliable humans. If the place requires a terminal traffic info service, put in a proper FSS (aka CA/GRO) or put in a tower.

And if you don't want to run into a hill when your GPS position gets corrupted, install a TAWS.