PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 10th Jun 2015, 06:46
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
When I was with the HEART I dug into the archives to see if I could discover a staff response to this report as non of the recommendations were ever implemented during my time. I found a letter from SM59 at Wyton to ATAR at MOD asking for advice 'on how to proceed' and whether funding would be provided for 'further investigation and remedial action'. There the paper trail went cold.
When the HEART visited Abbey Wood and spoke to the 'J' team one of my questions concerned the noise level in the 'J'. After much shuffling of feet it was finally admitted that the noise level in the 'J' cargo compartment would be higher that the 'K' ! Never having flown in a 'J' I have no way of knowing just how bad it is.
My retirement medical was done by the SMO who had my hearing test repeated as it was 'too good to be true'. But it has not deteriorated very much even years later. I had a free hearing test six months ago when I had my eyes retested and apart from a slight attenuation of the HF it was still very good. My wife is always asking for the TV/radio sound to be turned up and I cannot stand the sound to be too loud !
After all those years on the Hastings/Hercules I have no idea why my hearing has held up, nor it appears does anyone else.