PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shortage of Navs
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2015, 22:18
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
I read it today in an IBN:

"Extensions in the use of certain air platforms have disrupted forward planning for the WSO cadre; this requires stabilising."

"OF2 WSO manning levels are taut."

"The increased manpower footprint required to support certain air platforms has brought WSO manning levels under close scrutiny. In order to ensure continued operational output and to stabilise forward planning for the WSO cadre, an increase in minimum waiting time from 6 to 12 months is required. This change was discussed and agreed by all parties at the 1* Recognised People Picture Review Panel held at Air Command on 15 Apr 15"

So I guess that the situation described by GGII of "all these posts that need filling" has been warranted the IBN and this action from Manning?

The phrase 'porked it' comes to mind and thus the recent Officer Aircrew Sustainability Review and the shedding of traditional aircrew jobs to non-aircrew serves to give a somewhat bleak outlook. Furthermore, I notice that the most recent MAA External Audit Panel (MEAP) has reported on the difficulty in getting Suitably Qualified and Experienced Persons (SQEPs) into the required MAA posts that has made for significant comment in the MEAP2014 report.

So, yes, I think that WSO training was turned off too early. I also think the other current barking mad idea is expecting NCA to be good staff officers - and sending MACRs to ICSC is not going to allow them to do staff work to the same quality as an OF-3 or OF-2. So the use of other WSO/WSOp to do the traditional staff tours that Navs had done previously has probably worsened the situation as some rear-crew are less 'aircraft flyers' and more 'kit operators' in certain key posts that require experience with specific flying, safety and regulation backgrounds that some WSO/WSOps just don't have.

IMHO of course...

LJ