PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RV vs Katana
Thread: RV vs Katana
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2015, 21:04
Pirke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Backpacker: to be able to fly mogas you need both engine approval and airframe approval. Tanks and hoses can degrade rapidly due to 1% ethanol, and vapor lock is a real issue. For example the Robin DR400 has an STC, but it requires completely installing a new fuel system (tanks+hoses+pump) if I recall correctly. But most engines with low enough compressions are indeed allowed. You can check an extensive list here: Petersen Aviation | Auto Fuel STC

I know there are many intersting non-aero VLAs on the market that give a similar experience like a Katana, but most used ones that are for sale are much more expensive. I've flown a Tecnam once, and sat in many things like the Aquila A211, sportcruiser, etc at Friedrichshafen a year ago. They all give a similar flying experiene, but if it's possible, out of all the "want" items, I really like to be able to roll the thing

If that's not possible within my budget or experience, then I'll look for a good used fun 2 seater. Katana's are old, cheap (watch the 6000 hour check), and robust, but some other VLA's are starting to get within range of my budget. I do hear several stories of frequent nose gear collapse in schools or clubs. My usual rental is currently being repaired as well due to a hard landing. The Katana's can handle a bit more beating. But you're right that I should at least consider them as well! Because their younger their interior probably looks nicer and they usually have better avionics. Thanks!

On a side note: if only a new Blackshape Prime BS115 would be cheaper...