PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible new humanitarian/rescue operation coming up.
Old 9th Jun 2015, 20:07
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
CM:-
the first steps have to be in Africa, hence my remarks about returning them there.
NL:-
Simply return them all
Africa is not a State, nor is it even a "Union", which seemingly our continent purports to be. If these people embarked in Libya and are then intercepted at sea, how do you return them to a country that is in effect in a state of civil war? If you are saying that any state will do in Africa then "colonialist" and "fascist" will be the least of the diatribes leveled at us, not least by the government concerned, unless of course we buy them off in which case yet another galloper is added to the perpetual roundabout...

The immediate solution seems to me is for Libya to change from failed state to functional state(s), with administration(s) that are in actual control. Which brings us to the militant Islamists. They surely are the elephant in this room, and pose a real and present danger (not least in the effects presented by the OP) to us all. I have lambasted the UN with some justification, but I laud NATO which ensured the peace in Europe (and not "Europe" which presented itself the Nobel Peace Prize for that achievement. Laughable!). It is time once again to realise the threat at our door and for NATO to revitalise and reorganise itself to confront it. It could start by trying to cut off the money that funds them. Perhaps it too should move from Brussels to Geneva?

What I don't think we should do is shirk our common humanity and refuse any refuge to any of these people. The numbers per European state are containable at the moment, being small compared to the influx from Eastern Europe for example. I take your point that unchecked it will grow ever more. Hence the need to hold them in camps and allow freedom to work and to travel only to those who we feel are genuinely fleeing terror. Hopefully the word will get back from the others that you end up penniless and possession less, interned on one of jollygreengiant's Greek islands...

Last edited by Chugalug2; 9th Jun 2015 at 20:21.