PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible new humanitarian/rescue operation coming up.
Old 9th Jun 2015, 17:55
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think anyone could disagree with with your argument there, Chug. Africa is in crisis, some countries in particular. And those countries have millions of people that are in big trouble and that need help.

The point I've been making is slightly different in that helping thousands of people a week to get to Europe is not the answer. Why? Because more will follow, why wouldn't everyone there in distress want to follow? Certainly the ones arriving now will seek leave for their immediate families to come - so multiply the number arriving by whatever number is appropriate.

A substantial number seem to be saying that their desire is to go to the UK. And here's the rub. How many more millions can the UK support? It's simply not viable. There has to be a better and more permanent way of dealing with this and I can only see that the first steps have to be in Africa, hence my remarks about returning them there. Once there, as you rightly say, there will be a need for support. That will grow, but maybe not as quickly once this easy route into Europe is shut down.

It's not all about the UK. Sweden, Hungary and Austria appear to be popular destinations. Sweden currently has about 8 asylum applications per head of population at the moment. How long can that go on?

Countries of origin appear to be Nigeria, Somalia, Eritrea and Gambia. Not surprising, but there are millions more there to follow. And the rate of influx appears to be accelerating. If they haven't already, the numbers will quickly become unmanageable.

That's my point.