PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RV vs Katana
Thread: RV vs Katana
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2015, 15:33
Pirke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R2160 has no mogas STC that I know of, I don't know of the AA5, but having no stick and a roof instead of a clear canopy makes it less appealing to me.

Most certified aerobatic capable aircraft can't operate on mogas, and that's the only fuel on my short strip close to home.

Having a stick and clear vision all around me makes me feel one with the sky. That's my main mission In that sense a Katana is already a compromise because of the lack of rearward visibility, but at least there's no window frame to the front. For reference, this is what I currently rent: http://www.test.cycloonholland.nl/wp...4169-Large.jpg It has an annoying center frame, but it's reasonably fun to fly. A bit slow with 90 knots cruise, especially with a headwind, limited in crosswinds (very light 600kg), and ok for touring 2 hours if it's not turbulent. It's definitely better than a 152/172, just not available as much as I would like.

Aerobatics is not my main goal, if it's capable of a loop and roll that's good enough. It's more a bonus that I would want in my ideal aircraft. As I'm still a low hour pilot I still enjoy the €500 burger trips That's why I also consider something like a used Katana. There is a "need" list and a "want" list. But of course: the more I can realize of my "want" list, the better!

I already contacted a school for a basic unusual attitude training with spins/loops/rolls/etc, and I'll definitely wait with purchasing anything before I finish that to see how I like it. As I haven't flown the more capable aircraft yet, I currently don't know what I'm missing if I decide to buy a Katana to gain more experience first, or if I'll be able to fly a RV safely. For now I appreciate everyone's opinion