PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Roadshows for EK
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2015, 13:57
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOPS

Would hate to disappoint old chap, but on this occasion, I will.

I actually agree with your post. I've done slightly less time than yourself but nonetheless have endured a deteriorating quality of life since I joined. Whilst the airline industry in general has suffered the same slide in terms and conditions, the rub for me is the vast profits that are being made and demanded from this highly profitable Company. Unfortunately, this 'greed is good' culture perpetuates from the top down, manifested in huge bonuses for senior management, none of which are ever disclosed. There is no transparency and as such, we are directly at the mercy of those that will put their own financial gain ahead of those they manage and, quite possibly, the overall good of this Company. Very rarely will these senior managers leave EK for other Companies. This is their nirvana and an opportunity to top up pensions and quietly build their bank balances whilst stretching out a few more years of gainful employment. Whilst I do despair at times with the constant whinging and bleating on these forums, often it's from pilots who have joined an airline with a long term view. We, unlike some of our managers, have invested our time, family and career into Emirates and Dubai. It's not so easy to just up and leave as it would if we lived in our own Countries. This Company knows that. That's why we've had only a 0.5% pay rise in the last 3 years. Our increment steps are not pay rises and those with no steps to go will have little choice now but to wait until retirement or call it a day early. Nice way to care for you loyal staff your highness! Talk is cheap. To be honest, I'm tired of all the rhetoric and broken promises. I'm also tired of the constant propaganda and self promotion. Even the paying public are starting to read between the lines. If they spent more time and money investing in their core asset, the employees, instead of a plethora of sporting events, teams and buildings, the motivation and payback would be immeasurably improved. Pay them a good wage and treat them well, they will repay you in spades. I fear, however, that this 'dream' may well be too late.

When our DSVP can stand in front of several hundred trainers and have the audacity to say he 'loses no sleep over recruitment', what little respect I may have had has all but gone. At least our SVP training had the honesty and integrity to communicate the truth. One will be leaving later this year having topped up an already huge pension, the other has invested his time and personal money into Dubai and is looking long term. That to me sums up how wrong it is with the current remuneration and bonus package for senior managers. If he's losing no sleep over manpower issues, why are the pilots not getting their full entitlement to 42 days leave?

He may have thought there were 200 idiots in the room. In truth, there was only one.

So, for those that are thinking of joining, be very, very careful. Puff m'call offers wise advice. Ask as many questions as you need to and try to get as much in writing as you can. Visit here before you join and ask as many people you know about Emirates and Dubai. Whilst financially this is still a good choice, from a lifestyle perspective it may not be. It very much depends on your current contract and you own personal circumstances. Please, do not come here if you're financially secure and settled. This may not be the icing on the cake you think. At 47 degrees and 89% humidity, icing melts quick.

Enjoy your retirement SOPS. Give those dogs of yours a good walk....and a bloody long one too, for me!

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 9th Jun 2015 at 14:30. Reason: Spelling.....as usual!