PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Roadshows for EK
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2015, 13:05
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 157 Likes on 50 Posts
lol777. Let me tell you a story. Up to when I decided to retire early from the industry in March this year, I was a 777 captain with EK.

Just so you know, I had been flying for 36 years and my last log book entry shows me as having just over 22000 hours, of those almost 7000 are in command of the 777 for EK.

I moved from a job I loved to go to EK. The only reason I did that was because the airline I had worked for, for 19 wonderful years was in Europe, and my family ( due to personal reasons) had moved back to Australia. It became harder and harder to fly from Eurpoe to home as a commuter.

I went for an interview at EK. They showed me rosters that had 10 days off in a row. They showed me a contract that involved 78 hours a month. They showed me a contract that said six weeks annual leave. They showed me how great the staff travel was.

So I went to EK. The first couple of years were as advertised. Then the GFC happened, and the cubicle dwellers got hard ons, as how,they could screw the pilot group and increase their bonus.

And let me tell you, they went to town. They had their own wet dream every night for years. They sat and watched their bank balance increase at the expense of those they were meant to support.

And at that point I should have left. But I hung in there..thinking it would get better. I didn't, it got worse.

Restricted days off, unable to get leave, management by fear. ( ASR...250 knots at 4900 feet)

I was in the lucky position to decide to get out early. I wish now I had done it a year ago.
I feel so much better, physically and mentally. I did not realise how much the punishing rosters of 92 hours a month, in all hours of the day and night, was taking a toll on my health. I realise that now.

I'm sure Harry the Cod will be back soon to say how wrong I am, and my inbox will be full of people saying to stop posting,

But .........
Regards SOPS