PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I actually become an airline pilot?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2015, 12:50
HeartyMeatballs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sound exactly the same as I was at your age. A few things however. You say you don't mind if the lifestyle isn't that great. I said that once too. I even remember saying I'd move to Baghdad if we had a base there just to fly.

Having been on line for two years now, I now can't believe that I once said and thought those things. I've realised the job is exactly that. A job.

Lifestyle is extremely important. I'm based miles from home and I commute and it is tough. You loose track of friends, you hardly see your family and your relationship is jeopardised too. Take a look at the Mid East forums and the Far East forums if you think working for he ME3 or CX is any more glamorous than us mere short haul pilots. It's just as grim there too. No matter where you end up the chances are you'll be flying 900 hours a year. When you're not flying you realise just how important lifestyle is, particularly as you get older.

You'll likely spend the first ten years of your career paying in excess of £1000 a month on loan repayments. I earned £2000 last month. I have to pay to commute, pay for my accommodation in base etc etc. And I'm a lucky one. Many end up on zero hour contracts with huge loan repayments.

My advice - do something else. Do something with better prospects. Something you can do close to home, or transferable abroad. Do something that won't ruin your health, where bean counters won't happily ruin you life just to save a few pounds or reach a KPI. Get a well paid job, and fly for fun.