PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gravity cross feeding -A320 family
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2015, 09:25
CMpilot1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meiklour: I have already gone through QRH before posting my observations. The excerpts of the QRH given under 'GRAVITY FUEL FEEDING'are given below.

 If no fuel leak and for aircraft handling:
If no fuel leak, and for flight with only one engine running (this engine being fed by gravity), apply the
following:
FUEL X FEED........................................................ ............................................ON
BANK ANGLE...................................... 1 ° WING DOWN ON LIVE ENGINE SIDE
RUDDER TRIM........................................................ ........................................ USE

As you may know, gravity fuel feeding is required when you experience FUEL 1+2 LO PR.

Now, literally reading between the lines from the above checklist...'flight with only one engine running (this engine being fed by gravity)'

INFERENCE: LIVE ENGINE -- DEAD FUEL PUMPS(fuel pumps are dead on the same side as the live engine)

My understanding:

CASE1)The above procedure is assuming that the live engine is fed by gravity from the onside wingtank due to fuel 1+2 LO PR on the onside wingtank and for aircraft handling, the x-feed is opened to use the fuel from the other wing tank whose wing tank pumps are perfectly alright.
Hence, my previous observation about the usable fuel in post #18.

CASE2) This checklist is meant for a highly improbable scenario of having fuel L TNK 1+2 LO PR combined with fuel R TNK 1+2 LO PR(CENTER TANK EMPTY) snags and then opening the x-feed for reasons mentioned above. In that case, my post #18 would be in error..

Last edited by CMpilot1; 12th Jun 2015 at 03:29.