PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2015, 09:23
Prophead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there is one thing missing from a lot of these posts and that is how much do you want to fly for fun?

I know this is a job forum so the question was aimed at achieving a paid pilot position but I do believe it has a bearing on the decision and whether it is viable or not.

A lot of the older guys have decent careers but want to fly for a living instead. That's good but what kind of flying are you doing now? If you don't even have a PPL and are contemplating going integrated then I would question whether it is a good decision. If you want to fly and have the means then why haven't you done a PPL at least?

For the guys that are regularly flying for fun and doing something else for a living I would say go for it. As long as you do a CPL/IR and not an MPL you will have an IR which will make you pleasure flying more enjoyable and allow you to do more. The CPL is not really much more in the grand scheme of things, will make you a better pilot and may come in useful to pick up some part time work that may come along.

Not every job you will see advertised there are others that go under the radar and come about through being in the right place and having you face known at the local flying club.

To sum up, if you only dream of flying an airliner and have no PPL at least by your late thirties then I would question your own desire to fly. If you have a PPL and can afford to do the CPL/IR then go for it and use it even if there is never a paycheck at the end of it.