PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 woes
Thread: A380 woes
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2015, 22:57
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Silva strata,

I hope you won't mind me adding my answers to your post. It's just an easy way to deal with that number of points.

Sorry, the demise of Concorde had nothing to do with the Paris crash.
Yes it did. Concorde did not make a massive profit so the grounding after the AF crash ate into the bottom line

The truth is that many decades previously, it had only sold a handful of airframes, and only to national carriers who were obliged to take it.
Although there were hopes of a global revolution in air travel and tonnes of customers, it was accepted fairly early on that only France and UK would be likely to operate it. The two countries took the cost on for a few years, but eventually transferred costs to the airlines. They really didn't expect huge sales after the early customers pulled out.

The US disliked it for nationalistic political reasons.
True, but the operators worked round that (even cheated a bit)

The sonic boom made it unrealistic for overland operations (the biggest market).
Might have been. But, guess what, even in the 50s when the concept was being discussed, they knew about sonic booms. That will never change. In truth the 'boom' from high altitude wasn't a huge issue. Plenty of folk here that will tell you they heard it every day without consequences. We operated supersonic in mil aircraft over the European mainland for decades as long as we were above a certain altitude.

The passenger capacity was very low.
Yep. 100. But the ticket price was huge. It was an elitist liner and the price tag reflected that. But, as you said, BA made it pay.

The range was pretty low too, and a fuel-stop defeated the object.
The airframe price and fuel burn was quite high.
Obviously. But how many jets do you know that can do Mach two all the way across the Atlantic today?

Everything you said is true. All part of the design and well known to the designers, builders and operators -and any potential customers. All those things discouraged others from buying it and you could argue that because the only operators were the France and UK placed the whole project on a more vulnerable footing. But none of those things actually killed it.

Sorry for the thread drift. I shall leave it there and let you get back to the A380. Good luck.