PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible new humanitarian/rescue operation coming up.
Old 8th Jun 2015, 21:36
Jollygreengiant64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short of a stabilisation action across the whole of Africa, it seems to me that the only options left are the unsustainable one of the EU taking on the perpetual influx of migrants or, in my mind the only real option, creating an Israel type settlement somewhere in the region.

Maybe NE Libya (2 borders facing water/ 1 facing egypt) would be a logical choice. I don't think I need to explain the obvious benefits of having a relatively trustworthy standing military force in Egypt in the picture to the people on this forum, on this particular topic.

Another interesting thought is the possibility of Greece taking centre stage on this. Though I'm not sure on the specifics of Greek islands, perhaps there is scope to develop these into a permanent home for these displaced families. Islands would be a dream to police compared to anywhere on the continent. Conceivably, these islands could be donated by the Greek government, who are already looking to sell them off, in return for concession on their debt. The islands are more than likely to be worth more than they are currently sold for.

The main priority and key to solving this crisis, I'm sure you'll agree, is to help the displaced to help themselves; 'Give a man a fish' and all that... Hopefully by giving them somewhere they can call their own we can stem the rush to the UK, and the EU in general. Maybe we can even cut the supply of fighters to the warring factions.

I think the real irony is that this type of rehoming would be much cheaper in the long run than anything we will actually try, and that it will be much easier than simply changing our benefit law to make our intake more sustainable in the long run.