PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of a good Landing
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2015, 19:01
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry folks, but it continues to sound like there is a group who prefer to leave the landing up to the airplane …

The last time I checked it was the pilot flying who was to fly-the-airplane and not the other way around. If the airspeed is, or is going to be, wrong – the pilot flying should make the appropriate correction. If the airplane is, or is going to be, either too high or too low – the pilot flying should make the appropriate correction. If the airplane is, or is going to be, either above or below the glide slope – the pilot flying should make the appropriate correction. I’d go on, but I would just be repeating myself.

If you are the pilot flying the airplane and you don’t know exactly where you want the airplane to be and know how to get it there, and keep it there – no matter where you are, at all times between engine start and engine shut down – you were not trained completely or you were not trained correctly. We all make mistakes – heaven knows, I’ve made my share. But when a mistake is made, it should be immediately recognized and the appropriate correction should be applied.

So, what is the appropriate correction? That depends on the condition of the airplane at that moment and what the condition of the airplane should be at that moment – AND that extends to and includes what the airplane condition should be in the NEXT moment. And, for the uninitiated, airplane “condition” is attitude, altitude, airspeed, configuration, and direction … with full awareness of flight control position (including any control pressures being held in any of the 3 axes), as well as throttle position, and trim (in all 3 axes). So, to correct an error, the pilot flying would have to know and understand the current airplane condition AND know and understand what kind of correction(s) will have to be made (via the application of the controls available to the pilot) to adjust the airplane condition to achieve one that is desired – given the location and the circumstances at that moment.

Also, it’s my opinion (for whatever it’s worth) that “floating” is a description of what the airplane is doing, all by itself, with the pilot along for the ride.