PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Pershore Grass strips
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2015, 18:49
Curlytips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolder pilots?

As one who did make it in, I wouldn't want those who didn't go to think others were foolhardy. I think the photo I took (from the top of the slide would you believe?), shows just 9 visitors on the front row next to the crowd, and the remainder were all display aircraft - who no doubt are used to every sort of situation.

The main point about the front row was that it was virtually all nose - wheel. Tailwheelers were sensible and didn't risk things. But neither did we. Our plan was simple. We worked out that Gloucester was too far for taxi, in case we were too late the bus, and decided that Croft Farm would be straight into wind and a much shorter taxi ride.

So the plan was to make an approach and see how it went. If no chance, go to Croft Farm. After all, the met had a lot of tempo and prob, so it could have been a lot easier than predicted. In the event it wasn't that easy but it was doable by someone in good practice, and we landed off first approach.

Having been planning on attendance ever since I saw the very first news of it, I would have been thoroughly disappointed not to have made it in, but it would not have swayed decision making if the approach went to worms. There is no shame in throwing away the landing and going elsewhere.

And as a footnote, we did indeed go back to Gloucester to refuel (we needed to, because we'd made sure we were really light for landing and take off) and sure enough, no landing fee was charged.