PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Wish I Hadn't Said That ...
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2015, 17:36
Rossian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re HPZs....

.....as a Nimrod backender along with a couple of my trusty MAeoPs we were accompanying an Acturus crew on a guided tour of the East Shetland basin trying out their new bits of kit to large-ish area surfsurv.

Job done Ok let's go home.

In the galley making a cup of coffee I hear the phrase "Why don't we just wazz by this oilrig?"

"No!!!!" Rush forward clutching an en route chart only to see as I pass the Tacco's desk, the riig legs at about 50 feet outboard of the port wing tip and the same height above the water. A fast explanation of HPZs followed with advice "Let's piss off at low level an get the F*** out of the HPZ, eh?" "EH?" added because they were Canucks.

Womble westwards towards homeplate looking innocent and after a brief climb call ABZ for clearance back home. "On landing aircraft captain IS to call Aberdeen with an explanation as to why HPZ xyz was violated etcetcetc" Oooer missus!

An appropriate bollocking was delivered and lessons were learned - primarily that North Sea oilfields were a tad different from wide open Canadian airspace.

The Ancient Mariner