PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto calendar overhauls - the thin end of the wedge?
Old 8th Jun 2015, 14:09
Perspective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening Leadsled. Oh dear, well, anyway...........back to the topic,
Maybe it's not the answer that doesn't make sense but the question.
Maybe it shouldn't be "What" regulation, but rather who's, bear with me..
Fortunately for me, my AWI's and my correspondence from contacts in CASA
Are consistent. before you State that Yr Rgt is wrong about Car41, if he is being told by his AWI's, CASA contacts and so on, that that 'Includes' SB's, and they are the ones he must comply with, then according to the ones who allow his CofA and Licence, he is right!
At least in the eyes of the ones whom regulate him.

From my last correspondence, some choice phrases, which I have seen similar to
Others, most of which has been covered Ad nauseum!

"Schedule 5 is just a ‘shopping list’ of items, with no corresponding procedures, inspection techniques, limits, tolerances, or component overhaul limits. These specifics are found in the aircraft manufacturers maintenance data, which includes Service Bulletins, etc.."

And,

"LAMES are obliged under the requirements of CAR 42V, to carry out all maintenance in accordance with approved data. In addition, CAR 42V requires the incorporation of approved manufacturer’s instructions irrespective of which maintenance schedule is selected i.e. CAR 42A, CAR 42B or CAR 42C. CAR 42V ensures specific maintenance requirements, as identified by the manufacturer, cannot be ignored by registered operators who have selected CAR 42B CASA Schedule 5."

And,

"you are automatically obliged to follow all of the manufacturers requirements where they exist for specific requirements while signing off the items in Schedule 5."

Now, you can look at it however you wish, but if what your saying is (I think I got at least this much right!) there are no regs that specifically cover and make SB's Mandatory, what I'm telling you is they are referenced to within the scope of the approved Data, our AWI's tell us they are, my CASA contacts say they are, meaning
CASA's overall stance is they are.
That includes references to TCM's many SB, SL, SID, etc etc.
So my point is it doesn't seem so much "What" regulation, even though a fair minded person could look at the reference to all approved Data and take that to mean SB's as well, but "who's", because what I'm being continually told by the guys who are the ones who write the regs and enforce them is it is part of the overall approved Data.
Not sure why they can't use stronger wording than obliged, but there you have it.
The Mag issue should be pretty straight forward due to the SB following so closely the SM requirements, so maybe not a good example.
My goodness it would be so easy if CAR whatever stated MSB's are exactly that, and everything else advisory in nature, but i would hate to try defend not complying with even an advisory
Should anything untoward occur.

Last edited by Perspective; 8th Jun 2015 at 14:25.