PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Batteries - again.
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2015, 00:33
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Batteries - again.

We've had this before, but as usual ask 3 people and get 7 answers, and my cosy life has just been disrupted by a comment in our national newspaper this morning regarding preserving the life of Lithium batteries - to wit .........

Quote ... Conversely, when being charged and discharged a lot, it is best to keep the batteries as close to the 50 per cent mark as possible. So if you are only charging and discharging batteries a bit at a time, it is much better to do this between 45-55 per cent than between 90-100 per cent.

I use an iPad Mini as an auxilliary to my laptop, but it is interrogated almost daily, mainly to just download e-mails to save having to wait for ever if it has been a day or so since I last switched it on.

I was of the opinion - gleaned from reading various Internet sources - that batteries have a possible 1,000 cycles of re-charging before turning up their toes, therefore, rather than charge a little bit, often, it is better to run them almost flat then fully re-charge to 100 % again. i.e. keep the number of recharging cycles to a minimum.

That is what I do.

In view of the above article, should I change to running the battery between 30 - 50% all the time, which would eat into the 1000 possible recharging counts a lot more quickly than my present practice.

Also - I don't know if my iPad has a Lithium Ion battery or the previous NiCad type.

Grrrrr