PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit Procedures
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2015, 12:44
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It also makes no sense to me that on a straight in approach I should have to go overhead and make 5 to 6 blind turns to get back to the point I was already at maybe adding 5 to 10 minutes to the flight adding these unneeded turns to discomfort the PAX and increase my collision risk
Remember 7 out of 10 mid airs are in or near the aerodrome
Communicate is the answer and that means with other aircraft giving precise distance to touchdown and negotiating with the relevant ones on who is first!
If someone is base creating the separation to allow them to land and clear !

I do resent the blind stupid way some pilots attempt OH joins when they do not have 2500 feet to cloud base but attempt the OH with maybe 1500 feet just below the cloud base and that happens a lot
The OH join has a place when conditions are right but in the UK that is seldom and the word STANDARD should be removed to be replaced with better joining methods

That is the problem I have with it that it is abused by pilots and FIS or ATC or adjusted to unsafe separations at airfields where airspace restricts a possible OH join! Why ? Because we are fixated with a method of joining which is outdated and will try to accommodate it into less than ideal situations!
In the past that resulted in a near collision with an aircraft attempting an OH join cutting across the downwind leg

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 7th Jun 2015 at 12:56.