PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 7th Jun 2015, 11:38
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Threading

I guess folks do a bit of cross threading. - Not the nuts and bolts type Smudge! There is another tread about the Falklands. As a result I have read a number of recently released books. half way through Brown and his South American War. This brings together the Exocet books, Hutchings and others. It names the C130 guys involved in various OPs. I guess some of the names have been changed to protect the "guilty".

Some interesting tales about landing the C130 on a roadway to support the 39 Sqn Canberra that was cancelled. Also support to 51 and the Nimrod operating form San Felix. I must admit I did not know San Felix and Easter Island were two different places. I thought it a bit like the Falklands and Malvinas until Marcantilan put me right.

I have flown with a couple of the named Mikado guys. One shattered my illusions about Val Singleton (of Blue Peter fame) when we were doing some high altitude guided stuff in Arizona. Our Security must have been good because he never told of his past. Others I have spoken to claim to have done this and that but have not been named in the flood of books. I figure it may be a bit like the number who I have spoken to claim to have been on the Iranian Embassy balcony - It would have collapsed under their weight. Some would still have been in Primary School!

At the time I was at Wyton involved in a C130 mod for the theatre which took me to Marshall a couple of times when it was a real hive of activity.

I figure there is still lots of detail to emerge about the C130 masquerading in Chilean markings. I found it odd to read that Hutchins and others did not realise they were flying on an RAF Herc.

Also the French impounding an aircraft in Tahiti on its way to Hawaii was interesting to me. Was this one dressed up in Chilean markings.