PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Whistling wheelbarrow"
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2015, 09:20
zetec2

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yanks ?

Back from quick break away and can now answer, maybe read "Yank" as Canadian, ? first instance at Benson just before Easter break 62 (Wednesday ?), shortly before the U/C collapse of another (XP412 or 409 ?) on the Thursday, had been humping and lifting GE for the wheel change so was allowed away early for Easter, the u/c collapse/main leg fold up happened on the Thursday afternoon (day before Good Friday 62) believe it was a round robin aircraft taking troops around the country also had some local schoolchildren from Ewelme on board also, I drove back (I lived in Oxford) over the weekend and it was still sat looking rather sad somewhat lopsided but it was back in the shed when I returned on the Tuesday, that's the first one.

Matsapa, again was early 64, one of my last trips before coming home (just prior to the 413 incident) had done the Salisbury run, on the way back up the country on the bus run, again substitute Yank as Canadian or Colonial cousin ?, seem to remember a crew member named "Morrie" think Bill A*****ll was there as well (went onto the Reds) who did the signalling etc getting wheels and tyres from Nairobi, again being a fitter humping wheels not my job Chief but did an awful lot of jacking to assist, so definately not a Beverly I only did Argosies on 105.

Argosy : Went to Benson end of Jan 62, did Bitteswell and Ansty for the Dart,
went out as far as Khormaksar and Bahrein with 847 and 849 on a couple of "proving " flights and placing GE for forthcoming 105 placement, only major problem we had was at K/Sar when we had to get Station workshops to fabricate a reoiling rig for the APU as we didn't carry a Risbridger, otherwise a pleasant ? round trip which until the restrictions placed on the aircraft (pressurisation ? altitude limits) was really quite pleasant, left Benson "X" annotated with a "Q" as well I think beginning of March 62, that's when the fun started !!!!!.
Paul H, zetec2.