PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian airliner skids off runway
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2015, 06:41
WingNut60

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Ujung Pandang DC-10 excursion

Aaah .... solid evidence. There's the rub.
Particularly when my note mentioned lack of records.

Other than having seen it and walked past it about 20 times myself, the "solid evidence" is what's missing.
Since it was in about 1980, that pre-dates cell phone cameras, selfies and the like.
I MAY have a photo or two somewhere but wouldn't guarantee it.
Anyone who worked at Soroako around that time would know about it, and our HR Manager was on it, as a passenger of course.

I'd have thought that Boeing (nee McDonnell Douglas) must have records but probably not too keen to share them, in case I want to blame my hip replacement on the long drop from the aft door.
And I doubt that the Indonesian authorities a) have such records OR b) are willing to share them.
Hopefully there is an MD engineer or two out there who remembers the case.

I also found this article: https://www.mail-archive.com/palanta.../msg05679.html

which says "Kecelakaan pesawat di Indonesia bukan hal baru. Lihat saja data berikut ini
berserta lokasi kejadiannya: Januari 1981, DC-10 Garuda tergelincir di Bandara
Ujung Pandang; 23 November 1992, DC-9 Garuda tergelincir di Jogjakarta ......, etc"

And from a blog site "Regulator Indonesia pernah meng-grounded enam armada pesawat badan lebar
DC-10 Garuda Indonesian Airways sekitar sebulan, menyusul kecelakaan DC-10
terperosok roda depannya di ujung landasan pacu Bandara Hasanuddin,
Makassar, awal tahun 1980-an."

Translates to :- The Indonesian regulator previously grounded a fleet of six wide-bodied DC-10 aircraft for approximately one month following an incident in which a DC-10 "blew a front tyre" (sic) at the end of the runway at Hasanuddin airport, at the beginning of the 80's"

Last edited by WingNut60; 7th Jun 2015 at 07:39.