PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need honest career advice
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2015, 03:59
johnappleseed123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA350XWB

I think your right. A solid degree as backup then I can give flying a shot and if plan's fail then move into back up career. It would give me security and your also correct about the industry changing every now and then so my mind set should be long term.

grandfather

I think your spot on in terms of asking myself if it's really what I want. From someone like me, who has never experienced the industry it looks very rewarding and shiny but the reality is much different. I guess it is really a question of how much I want it and if I'm prepared to do what it takes. Watching my friends move up in their careers, get promotions, pay rises etc while I scavenge for a low paying GA/regional job would be difficult.

redsnail

I agree. I will checkout Dununda forums. From my research perspective, the traditional way seem's to be the only viable way in this day and age. Cadet ships and such are few and far with only a number of them active. From the top of my head, Sharp, Qatar, British Airways FPP, I think rex? Maybe even Jet star. However these cost big money and are extremely competitive so realistically they are not a reliable way into the industry. Going back to what I said before, traditional way looks to be the only option.

Diesel Pilot

True about going for it, life being short etc. There are a good number of FEE-HELP supported programs such as Flight Training Adelaide's courses and University of South Australia offers it's Bachelor of Aviation with the option of 4th year flight training as well as a bit of shark spotting work experience which seem's like a nice option. My only concern with that would be the aviation degree before it which does not give many options in terms of a back up career but takes up 3 years which could be used for flying. I'm aware of the low pay as well as tough journey ahead. Relocating is something I am prepared to do however money is a big factor which I would need to consider.

BJTW

What your saying is right. If i really wanted it, I would do it regardless. I guess due to my nature, regardless of what it is I approach it with a plan and back up and analyse it before making and commitments. I guess with aviation that won't cut it. The bottom line I think is once again how much I want it and if I'm prepared for the commitment.

iPahlot

Getting a degree makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Not too sure about airlines favoring degree holders however it would be good to have a back bone in case things go awry.

wonderland

I have looked into RAAF. I thought about it for a while. It would give me a very strong start to my aviation career as well as plenty of experience however I realised it was not for me, so I'm focusing on GA/regional/airline stuff for now.