PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Progressive lenses vs bifocals
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2015, 14:44
notjustanotherpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first time I tried multis I couldn't stand them - that was for about a month, BUT, I think it was because the field of view in focus close up was a lot narrower than I was hoping or expecting. So I carried on with one pair for distance and one for close up/reading.

I typically drove and flew wearing the distance glasses. The only problem with that was the dash in the car and the instrument panel in the planes wasn't in focus and I was often straining to see what was being indicated exactly. I could see the dials and pointers and had a good idea of where they were in relation to where they should be but it was not easy. And of course in lower light situations (cloudy/overcast or late afternoon near sunset for flying or night time driving) the depth of field due to a larger iris was a lot less.

My accommodation ability continued to decrease to the point where it was non-existent. I got my eyes retested a couple of years later and tried the multis again and haven't looked back (except in the mirrors and when I turn my head).
I'm pretty sure this pair has a slightly wider close up field of focus but I still use a reading pair for any serious reading due to the having to continually move the head to read anything wider than a normal newspaper column.

I heartily endorse multis but would continue to wish for a wider field in focus close up.