PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAROPS Saturday - for Search and Rescue
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2015, 14:03
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder00,
The airborne lifeboat was designed by Uffa Fox, there appears to be an example at the Classic Boat Museum in Cowes.

There is quite a lot of gen about it on the web along with pictures showing it under a Hudson and Warwick. I had not seen the picture GGII had posted previously.

I am quite interested in this. Lots of years ago the St Ives (Cambridgeshire) Sea Scouts had one. I am not sure where it went. I know there is an ex military boat of sorts made of steel buried under the foundations of the new hut (New to me in 1974 ex Pathfinder HQ Huntingdon). Under the veranda end closest to the church. We also had another aluminium boat which went to Micky Jones boatyard in St Ives. I think this had been a tug for the pontoon bridge sections we used to float the hut over to the island. It had a very thirsty inboard petrol engine and went like hot snot.

I do recall seeing an old flickering cine film of the Airborne boat on the river in St Ives. I would not be surprised if the mast and sails were amongst those in the lockers in the old hut (town side of the swimming pool [dockyard] ) I know there were lots for boats that had long since gone. Most of the people that were involved have long since gone. I was a teenager at the time.

I believe the Lindholme gear was all containerised. Early versions were even dropped from Lysanders from a rack on the undercarriage legs.