PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Skidmore Letter on Part 61 - Don’t Mention the Cost!
Old 5th Jun 2015, 14:00
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
The problem has been in the past that CAsA was seen as the retirement home
of the ex-RAAF.
That certainly may be the perception and which soon turns into a wide generalisation. Fact is that after WW2 DCA needed aviation orientated people fast and there was no shortage of well qualified ex RAAF people looking for jobs. Many became flying instructors at aero clubs on paltry pay (nothing has changed there) and later were recruited by DCA.

Many stayed until retirement, while at the same time the airlines snapped up experienced GA pilots. Few GA pilots wanted to fly desks in DCA Head Office and I recall clearly that in those days Reg Ansett wasn't interested in hiring former RAAF pilots because he preferred to give GA pilots a go. Fine sentiments of course. On the other side of Essendon where TAA had their ops office, they preferred to hire ex RAAF. Horses for courses I suppose.

I have no facts as far as the recruiting of civilian or ex-military aircrew into CASA or previous regulator names, but there are always going to be "difficult" personalities recruited by government agencies as well as nice people. But it is unwise to automatically rubbish someone who is recruited by CASA simply because they may have been in the RAAF or the RAN Fleet Air Arm years ago.