PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2015, 13:08
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Could you two point out anywhere that indicates I don't show "considered empathy for other users."? Thanks.

You're both quite welcome to sit in my jumpseat at any time to see how I operate OCTA. I have used hundreds of kgs of fuel and time over the years to help out VFRs during arrivals and departures; fitting in, it's called. I've orbited over the top of places waiting to "get a slot" at busy regional airports. If you guys have a problem with Capt Blighs, then complain to someone else. Mind you, with Leadsled showing the bird to an A380 because he can, no wonder some of my ilk are becoming a little jaded with portions of the VFR fraternity...

It is a pity that you guys (Triadic, I'm surprised) can't argue the toss re the facts. Class F for example. What exactly is wrong with what I said above? Nothing, so you accuse me of being a Capn Bligh.

I am really concerned that most seem quite comfortable with RPT jets with over 100 seats operating in an unalerted See and be Seen environment.

I'm also concerned with the concept of one pilot using Comm 1 on ATC and the other on the CTAF. For goodness sake, the reason we have two pilots is to make the decisions twice as good. That can't happen when each is doing their own thing! And yes, Triadic, I did consider it once or twice. It's the one of the more dangerous things one could do. That is one of the reasons I dislike E; nobody has actually explained how, at Ballina, an RPT crew would reasonably cope with ATC on one freq giving them clearances for this and that down to 700ft and on the other them self-segregating with the VFR that was there (and listening to the well-intentioned firey). You guys read the brochures and believe it all. Just like the glossy "Class G" and "Class F". Try it and one day the wheels will fall off. And, of course, it'll be the hapless jet crew that gets thrown in the clink because they broke Leeadies law and didn't look out so as to See and Avoid the VFR they ran in to. The only reason Class E works is the big sky theory.

Teterboro: I'd quite like operating there. High pressure Class D with B on top. The guide recommends VFR plan to hold outside the zone for extended periods during 1300-2100 IIRC. Got any better examples than that, Thornbird?

As for change, I don't mind change. I like it when it's for the better. Nothing I have seen in the last 40 years of Australia's airspace design has particularly been for the better. Routine No-Radio at jet ports was madness and was never accepted by CASA, thank goodness. And the problem was?? There was none. Everybody goes about their business, talks on the radio. Only the selfish ones who refuse to fit in continue to bang on about it. Meanwhile, the industry was in turmoil for decades.