PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Less than full power takeoffs?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2015, 12:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASI

A very well and informative response. I fly business jets and agree totally with you.
We check the temp and airfield elevation and take the N1 setting from the book normally in the Citation about 97.4% N1.
Yesterday at the airfield I departed 28 C and 1000 ft ASL it was 96.2 N1. You can build on the brakes to that thrust setting and let go or apply that thrust setting progressively which is smoother and not so greyhound out of a trap departure. Jet engines do not have the torque effect that piston and turbine singles can display.

Obviously that then meets the takeoff performance charts. Anything less and you are in the relatively unknown.

Changes in jet engine thrust are not so noticeable to PAX as they would be in a piston single or twin where RPM and manifold changes are more noticeable especially in twins where out of sync can mean an alarming sound to unknowing PAX.

Maybe Paid to fly and flying PAX your goals change? As few turns as possible as smooth air as possible as slick and time saving as possible? Etc

That becomes the challenge not the excitement factor.

But that emphasis can be the challenge flying PAX in light singles and twins to make the operation as smooth and slick as can be.

My experiment was just that! An experiment on a long runway and have to say it was very smooth But not something i am advising.

We are so conditioned to go MAX and that brings in other considerations where going MAX can be fatal. you only have to go and look at the stall spin accidents on high powered single turbines like the TBM series or aircraft on go around or low and slow or look at high powered singles which will not take MAX on takeoff so in a way maybe this is just to be aware that Our training on low powered pistons is not the best on higher powered aircraft.

How many accidents have occurred where pilots are so brainwashed to max power that approaching VMCA in a twin they do not consider reducing power on the one live engine because they are brainwashed to MAX is best