PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Less than full power takeoffs?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2015, 11:45
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carrying PAX and you have a different challenge as most PAX are nervous of flying or want as smooth a flight as possible and that then becomes the challenge......

building to maximum power against the brakes and then being pinned to the seats by the acceleration might be great for us but not so great for nervous PAX. Ok short runway you have to do that but do you have to do that on a Heathrow type runway.
Very true, and a good reason to practice gentle handling - nothing sudden, or "full" if it can be avoided.

When I started right seat in the Cheyenne in the '80's, I was sharply told by my Captain: "Hey, the people back there are paying for this ride, they want a smooth one!"

In the last two days I have been doing the initial proving flying for a new amateur built "Cessna 172" taildragger, with 180HP, and extended STOL kitted wings. The first takeoff I eased the power in, and found I was airborne before I had eased it all in! Apparently it did not need full power to get airborne in a few hundred feet! I did learn to use full power though, and found a sustained 1300 FPM rate of climb - certainly a first for me in a 180 HP 172!