PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 777 wrong weight inputs, off by 100 tonnes?
Old 5th Jun 2015, 11:16
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single digit errors

Reading the majority of posts on this thread leads me to a number of conclusions. The most over-riding one however is that many posters seem to blame the technology or, in some cases, the fact that they fly aircraft with large performance/weight differences on a given day. As a former F/E with responsibility for initial extraction of performance data from tabulated data which was then confirmed (with out access to the TOLD card) by the non-handling pilot I never knew of the gross errors which seem to occur from time to time in more recent times. I know I come from another era, however I believe that now that there are only two sets of eyes in the flight deck of heavies that the insertion of data into the electronic systems should demand double checking. It is, or should be, a self preservation action if nothing else.

Just wanted to remark on EEngr's post in relation to Piltdown's earlier post. I certainly do not believe the 100 tonne error is made regularly. I am aware of several which made the news and I accept that an occasional event occurs which goes unreported. I also am aware that the work load is now higher than in the past with all sorts of varying power settings being used. It was pretty simple in my day I guess with only two or three derates available and fairly basic data from the steam age being used.

Last edited by Old Fella; 6th Jun 2015 at 04:07. Reason: added comment