PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2015, 07:32
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Triadic:
Whilst we could always return to the days of Flight Service, that we know is not going to happen.
I never said I wanted FS back. I'm quite happy with my beepback, AWIB and tablet update from the NIS. A CA/GRO is an appropriate step up from a CTAF. Speaking of FS, what on earth could justify Firies yakking on the CTAF? I have the utmost respect for their primary job, but having one of them in action on a busy CTAF throwing in their two-bobs worth is not going to help anyone :Hey guys, just letting you know there's a loud on the top of that hill! Don't run into it!". If a CTAF is that busy (Ballina), put in a CA/GRO (properly trained, not "a couple of units of the ATCO course") or a tower.

Yes, having Class F was discussed at length many times and I agree it would be more appropriate in many areas than G,
Completely missed my point. We have a class F service in our uncontrolled airspace now. The term "Class F" didn't suit the master plan which was to use the "Class G" term to complain about our unsafe operations OCTA by Dick Smith and Richard Woodward; exactly as is occurring now (as well as some nit-picking bureaucrat who noted that Class F is "temporary" on the way to implementing Class E).

I have operated in Class E and it is not an issue, provided you understand how it works and appreciate that VFRs may be about, hopefully monitoring the correct frequency.
You can't be serious? Until someone goes whizzing past your windscreen? Is Class E supposed to raise even further the hairs on the back of my neck Because I know that even if I do spot a lighty, if he's on a collision course with me, I will probably be unable to avoid him. Class E means "VFR exempt" = non-participation. The whole idea is that VFR can do as they please talking to no-one. Get them on frequency and get them talking to me.

The implications? No radar and no ADS-B = procedural control, not to mention how many extra ATC sectors required?

By the way, have you ever in a two-crew op tried to work it so that one pilot has ATC as primary and the other pilot has the CTAF as primary - using the volume controls. I have, and it works well if briefed correctly.
You cannot be serious again... the reason we have two pilots is that the decisions are better; two heads are better than one. How can that occur with what is effectively single-pilot comms? "ATC says do this!" "But Captain, there's a lighty turning right!" "What? where is he again?!"

The use of radio as discussed previously, is in this country, close to out of control with far too many transmissions and many that don't mean anything to anybody but the one doing the talking !! You need to get value for money out of every time you press the PTT. Again education and a change of culture is the key to getting it right.
You don't change an airspace system because people talk too much.

Maybe we should introduce some F so that we have an excuse for a major education program??
And the major education program would be what... "Err, we're really operating in what ICAO would call Class F with it's IFR Air Traffic Advisory Service, so... nothing's changed...continue on as per normal..."