PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need honest career advice
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2015, 05:32
Diesel Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm in my last year of high school in Australia. I need some advice and I want the honest truth from anyone who could help as I have lost hope in chasing the dream.

I've always been driven to be a pilot, ultimately flying for the airlines. However, through rigorous research I've discovered this is far from reality for a lot of people in my position so I have come to terms with just doing a degree and having a comfortable career. From research I realised it is difficult to be a successful pilot for a number of reasons such as a surplus of people like myself, for example too many pilots on their PPL or CPL looking for jobs, high cost of training, poor airline employment, tough economy in the industry right now.

My question is what is the state of aviation right now and will it stay that way? Also, if it is worth seeking a career as a pilot and what the chances are of landing a gig, as well as what kind of commitment I would have to be prepared for to make it happened. Finally, is it worth it?
I'm employed in Australia, and am an entry level instructor so I'll give you my take.

If you've always wanted to do it, then you should go for it. Life is too short not to IMO. This is what I did, but you need to do your homework.

There are plenty of full time FEE-HELP funded programs which incur little out of pocket expenses, which if I had my time again I would be looking at. Some of these programs are even tied in with degrees from universities, so you can end up with the best of both worlds.

Keep your expectations realistic. You won't earn much money as an entry level pilot (expect MUCH less than what you might be thinking) and the road to the airlines, at the moment, is pretty much non existent. I say at the moment as the industry does change, for better and for worse.

You need to look at things on a national and international scale to keep your career moving, i.e. maybe relocating interstate/internationally to take advantage of an opportunity.

Finally be prepared to keep paying even after your basic training is finished, i.e. upgrades, type ratings etc it all costs money so the more you have the better. Paying for things doesn't really stop until you are experienced enough an employed in a company large enough and willing to cover these costs. This is the reality.

If you want anymore specific info feel free to shoot me a PM.