PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2015, 01:42
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloggs, with all due respect, I believe you are a victim of the Australian Culture which does not like change of any sort. You would of course be aware that the only thing that is constant in Aviation is change!!

Whilst we could always return to the days of Flight Service, that we know is not going to happen. Yes, having Class F was discussed at length many times and I agree it would be more appropriate in many areas than G, but that is what the decision makers at the time decided, so we live with that (for the moment at least??) Many still live in the world of FS and want that to work in today's airspace model. Those folk need a big wake up call - this is 2015 and not 1980! (mind you, there were many things that were done much better back then, than now, but CASA don't have the corporate knowledge and history of what happened back then in the good old days of DCA - maybe if they did, it might be different?)

The fact that Class E works elsewhere in the world is at least a good reason to examine it in the Australian context. The real problem with its introduction is that those that even supported the ICAO menu of airspace classes did not at the time understand fully the implications of the change/s and how to introduce it across the board. For many that operated in upper airspace etc there was little or no change. However as we know the changes in what was OCTA did change and that is what we now have to deal with. I have operated in Class E and it is not an issue, provided you understand how it works and appreciate that VFRs may be about, hopefully monitoring the correct frequency.

Again, this brings about the amount of education required at all levels and the ability to address the culture issues that you and others don't seem to acknowledge. CASA have never appreciated the entrenched culture within this industry and have certainly never applied the required resources to bring about effective change (hello...look at the mess of Part 61..!)

Part of the problem is addressing pilots in the airlines that don't operate in E/G very often and they still believe it to be OCTA as it was years ago. Wrong! Some of the folk that wont let this happen are in fact senior pilots with the major carriers and it is very difficult to even talk to them about this as many don't accept they should be lectured to on this, or anything else for that matter. If CASA can get thru that gate, they will be doing well, but since they presently have very little credibility and very few pilots with appropriate experience I will not hold my breath. Maybe the new DAS can change that, but it like most things will take time.

By the way, have you ever in a two-crew op tried to work it so that one pilot has ATC as primary and the other pilot has the CTAF as primary - using the volume controls. I have, and it works well if briefed correctly.

The use of radio as discussed previously, is in this country, close to out of control with far too many transmissions and many that don't mean anything to anybody but the one doing the talking !! You need to get value for money out of every time you press the PTT. Again education and a change of culture is the key to getting it right.

Maybe we should introduce some F so that we have an excuse for a major education program?? The question is: are CASA up to that?? Certainly the OAR have little understanding of what is out there in the real world, so it would have to come from elsewhere.

Last edited by triadic; 5th Jun 2015 at 01:46. Reason: typo