PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Double runway incursion at Okinawa
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2015, 20:59
TypeIV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
especially if you are aware of the general area of the traffic.
That's a serious assertion, how do you know that he knew about the helo just taking off? If someone made an RTO due to a helicopter over the clearway and I didn't see it or know where it was going I would probably have done the same.

In this particular situation, the helo was well out of collision range of the landing airplane
Now, that's very easy to point out with facts in hand afterwards. How would the pilot know beforehand?

there is almost never a reason to fail to go around when so directed by tower.
I have colleagues who have been on final reserve fuel and I've had predictive windshear warnings beyond the runway in very mountaneous areas myself. A grass cutter not responding on his radio for example, would not get me going around in that situation (seen that too).

In this particular situation, the helo was well out of collision range of the landing airplane;
Again. This is difficult to know until the scenario is over. There's a chance that the only sight he got of the helo was the traffic advisory on his ND. If we weren't there to have the all facts ready, we shouldn't judge.

A camouflaged (matte painted)
Did you even watch the video?