PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Maarten - Princess Juliana
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2003, 19:03
KC-10 Driver

I've been into SXM several times in both the 757 and the A320. I agree that approaches are not particularly harrowing. And, yes, I will also confirm that the photos you've seen are authentic.

My best memory of SXM, however, involves one time when I went there in the 757. After landing and making a 180 at the end, we were taxiing on the runway to parking. I was the F/O, and the IRO (international relief pilot) in the jumpseat looked out the left window and gave out a shout. All three of us (me, the Captain, and the IRO) looked left at the beach just adjacent to the runway. There was a drop-dead gorgeous girl wearing nothing but a thong bikini bottom walking her dog on the beach. The Captain was so captivated that he started turning the tiller left as his head swivelled. We might have gone right off the runway had he not recoverred his wits!

Another fond memory of SXM involves a 4 hour ground time on Christmas day several years ago. The entire crew (flight & cabin) put on our swim suits and went to the beach just off the end of the runway. Lunch and swimming with 4 pretty young F/A's in bikinis. I did have trouble, however, explaining to my wife how I managed to get a sun tan on a one day trip to the islands and back.