PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Free Win 10 upgrade?'
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2015, 16:00
Biggles78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
So I'm just keeping it as a 'hidden update' as, having read about Windows 10, I do not want it as it will remove various Win7 features..
You are a very smart and wise man Mr BEagle and no sir I am not being facetious. Most don't think about Win10 being an Upgrade. That means if after your "free" upgrade from Win7, 8 or 8.1 your HDD crashes or file corruption means it is no longer usable, you will have to reinstall your original operating system and then, if you are still within the "free" 1 year upgrade period, do Windows 10 all over again.

Now the big problem is that unless you have physical Recovery Media for your original operating system you will need to obtain a copy from your hardware vendor OR purchase an installation copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft.

I too shall be staying with Windows 7 for as long as possible. Windows 10 from what I have learnt from playing with the Preview versions appears to be heading in the Apple direction in that they seem to be wanting to lock you down and control what you can do with the hardware you purchase. This is not an Apple bash but from what I understand from their Terms & Conditions, not only do you pay a licence to use their software, it now looks like you pay a licence to use the hardware as well. This is the hardware that you paid quite a bit of dosh for. Microsoft looks to be heading in the same direction.