PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2015, 12:24
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Don't forget that law (and, hopefully, your sense of self preservation) requires IFR aircraft to keep their eyes out the window, particularly (obviously) in G,E and D. Being an IFR flight does not absolve you from keeping a lookout.
Yep. Throw the book at the jet crew waffling around trying to get their aeroplane on the ground when they clobber something that is a tenth of their size because they couldn't see it behind the iron-mongery that holds the cockpit in place...

It happens now in G, so the only thing that changes is that the radar man is going to give you the VFR traffic.
No it doesn't! In Class G (actually F) we're all on the same frequency in the CTAF; in class E I have ATC directing me around the sky on a clearance on one radio and the VFR blabbing to me on the CTAF! I really am worried about the inability of some here to understand that!

I'm all for CA/GROs or Class D; just keep the enthusiastic amateurs off the airwaves. Things are busy enough as it is in the terminal area already.

Lookout doesn't work and nor does simultaneous comms on two radios in two-pilot ops!