PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA caught out? Again!
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2015, 12:13
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
And in a related development, Follow Me signs and flashing pink lights will be added to the Fire chief's vehicle, complete with grab rail, so that those requesting it (and willing to pay) will be able to get a "skimpy" follow-me service to the terminal...

DS was pushing for turboprops with 6 seats or more to have TAWS which might have avoided the Benalla accident.
So if they were/are such a good idea, why didn't the operator/s fit them anyway? Or should we use the billion-dollar AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL system to provide the TAWS service?

Smith says that if ground staff at the small Lockhart River airport in Cape York, who were not air traffic controllers, had been required to have standard radio contact with approaching aircraft, 15 people might not have died when a Fairfield Metroliner crashed into a mountain while approaching the airfield in bad weather in May 2005.

The manager of the airport, Manfred Kranabetter, who was at Lockhart River when the crash occurred, says that had the pilot contacted ground staff as part of a standard routine they could have told the pilot that a mountain on his intended approach was obscured by cloud.

“But I only provide information when I’m asked,” Kranabetter says.
I hope somebody rang Alan Jones and set him straight on this nonsense...