PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter and spring 2015 editions of 'Tech Log' magazine
Old 4th Jun 2015, 11:14
NutLoose

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,249 Posts
...BCAR Sect L are actually still in use for some aircraft.
Correct, for Annex 2 aircraft.

http://www.haa-uk.aero/engineering-detail.php?eng-id=8

I still hold my BCAR Section L licence alongside my EASA Licences, you do not pay for the Section L Licence these days if you hold the EASA ones.

The problem is as there are no Section L courses anymore, as Engineers retire they are going to be in the position of having no one left to maintain the Annex 2 fleets.

I believe part of the HAA's (Historic Aircraft Association) (if it ever gets going properly) problem is that ex Military stuff appears to be going down the route that it will require a Section L Licence to be held, except the CAA no longer produce them, the "get around" I heard they were working on ( The CAA) was to have them do the EASA Licence, then isssue a " quasi grandfathered" section L licence..

Fine in principal, but if you have a company that say only operates several Spitfires and their Engineers study for the EASA Licence, you then get the catch 22 situation that they have nothing in their hangar ( IE EASA recognised types ) to put down experience on to allow the issue of the said licence.

Personally I thought Annex 2 was a mistake, It should have either all gone under EASA or not at all, I went from a simple to understand and clearly laid out licence, that relied on weight limits etc to the farce that is EASA, where groups and aircraft types change at the drop of a hat and you constantly have to check the web to see if you can certify XYZ.

Last edited by NutLoose; 4th Jun 2015 at 16:04.