PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Wish I Hadn't Said That ...
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2015, 09:06
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Similar...chugging along in a Puma and we espied a Wessex ahead, closing rapidly it slowly dawns on the crew that it is red and Royal, much swearing and a rapid turning descent ensues with much prayers said that no one saw us.
Reminds one of a dit from 1982.

72 Sqn, recently (after a mere 12 years or so of 50% detachments) had become residents in Norn Iron. And we were then told we were "going South" - with the war very much still on.

Cue an amazing effort - particularly from the ginger-beers - to prepare for an open-ended operational detachment. NI was still "interesting" so we couldn't prepare from there. 33 came across to replace us for NI tasking, and we had replaced them in support of 5 Bde (?) on Op CORPORATE. (Someone had finally realised that the Pume's undercarriage was not best suited to deck operations.....!). Idea was to move to Benson to work up for as long as we could before embarkation.

Emotional departure from ALDZ for a coupla dozen Wessi - I was convinced I wouldn't be coming back after I strolled nonchalently to my steed to be delayed briefly by a firm handshake from the Padre and a snog from OC WRAF (better than the other way round I guess .....).

We'd authorised overweight (MAUM 14 000 lb) running takeoffs for all, but that still didn't stop the boss -T*** N******** - from wiring the married patch on our way out. Interesting manouevre at those weights.....

It was a Bank Holiday weekend, so we also wired the Village fete adjacent to the secret Shropshire helicopter base. Lots of friendly waving, I guess everyone knew where we (thought we!) were going.

Heading South through the Marches, someone called a contact on a reciprocal heading - same-ish height.

"Rotary, 12 o'clock level"

Intercomm chat as follows.......

"Looks like a Wessex......"

"Can't be - the Navy have gone South already, can't be Shawbs cos it's a weekend - there's only us....."

"It's a red Wessex .............."

"Sh*t - who checked the NOTAMS ........???"

But it was only a positioning flight (phew!!), and we got a chatty:

"Good luck , and keep yer heads down" on the common freq as we passed ......