PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new carry-on luggage 'valet' service and 'new' boarding
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 22:00
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
A new carry-on luggage 'valet' service and 'new' boarding

This from Delta:
Could a new carry-on luggage 'valet' service end the fight for overhead storage space on flights? - News & Advice - Travel - The Independent

To the question posed, I think the answer is NO - not a chance. But as a PR exercise that might work???

In the PR written article:
The new “Early Valet” system will offer passengers on busy US routes the chance to have a steward take their luggage from them at the gate and place it in the compartment above their seat. The hope is that the new wheeze will reduce the impact of the frantic scramble for seats as passengers battle each other for space in overhead compartments near their seats.
So either:
  1. A 'steward' will take the bag at the gate and carry it all the way onto the aircraft.
  2. A member of Cabin Crew will take the bag at the door of the aircraft and carry it to the seat?
  3. It is not stated how the 'steward' then makes their way back up the aisle against the flow of incoming pax or if the bags are trule taken at the gate and loaded before the pax.

Later, the article moves on to another topic with KLM boarding:

Last year Dutch airline KLM introduced a boarding process called “Smart Boarding”, which sees passengers issued with a boarding number and called forward by large screens, only allowing one person at a time to board the aircraft.
You mean - just like the process of "Boarding by row numbers" as they did until the pax ignored them and the agents realised that it was pointless to try and stop the thundering herd and better to let the pax sort it out for themselves? Even if it took longer?

I know, I'm too cynical and I've been paxing for too long ...