PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA pilot to pax: "You can't see the stripes"?
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 10:10
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"the expression on his face was priceless when he realized he was asking an airline pilot."

I think that's quite a revealing observation FLCH - perhaps the expression on his face was because he realised he'd mistaken you for hotel staff and clearly you wouldn't be expected to know the status of the eggs, rather than he was addressing a member of the winged master-race . I see North American flight and cabin crew in hotels all over the world (as well as airports) and to be honest, few ever strike me as being particularly approachable or likely to want to answer a query...and that's usually before I've noticed they are airline personnel.

But..as someone who is frequently asked where the toilets are...which bus goes to the Holiday Inn...where can I claim back my VAT...where's the gate for "British Air" etc...I find you have to take it in your stride, regardless of how pushed for time you may be or focussed in the interest of 'your customers' safety and security'; members of the public, by and large find airports somewhat stressful environments and will ask questions of anyone they manage to identify in a uniform, and as a uniform wearing ambassador for your company, I would expect that. I will absolutely always attempt to answer a question to the best of my ability even if that is only so far as to direct someone to a more competent person who might know the answer (particularly in supermarkets and public lavatories), rather in the same way FLCH did at the breakfast buffet. Aircrew, and pilot's in particular are considered to be customer facing, intelligent and responsible individuals who should surely recognise the adoration laid onto them by their fare-paying public who, have strayed into their environment - even if it is only shown by the asking of an occasional question (albeit erroneously) .

I have also experienced a similar high standard of customer service as experienced by deptrai at both IAD and ORD with UAL in recent years following tight connections off of long-haul sectors. Couldn't have done more for me and left me both a little surprised but also delighted - they went out of their way when they didn't have to and that made a big difference to me.