PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engines and data plates
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 00:37
Squawk7700

Received 196 Likes on 103 Posts
Engines and data plates

This question is for the smart ones here.... Probably more for a maintenance section, but I'm too scared to post there as I'm not an engineer

Scenario:

You have an old engine that you've decided you don't want to rebuild. You send that engine (complete with data plate) to a company that sells engines, such as Lycoming for example. You instruct the engine mob that you want to use your old starter motor and carburettor, but throw away the rest of the engine (to save on costs - let's just say that starters and carbies are very expensive).

Can the engine mob simply provide a brand new engine, complete with a newly issued data plate and ship it to you complete with your old starter motor fitted?

So the issue is.... does the fact that I gave them a starter motor and carby off an old engine, mean that the new engine must live on into history with the OLD engine data plate?

This is an Australian specific question.

In my mind, this is the exact opposite of the scenario where it is conceivably possibly to "build" an entirely brand new Mustang aircraft around a data plate that I found lying in a desert somewhere.