PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ext drive FAT32/NTFS formatting question.
Old 2nd Jun 2015, 14:52
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peliwotsit,

A few thoughts :

- FAT32 is generally regarded as yuk. Not one of Microsoft's finest moments.

- I've never used it, but a company called Paragon makes something called "NTFS for Mac" which is supposed to do what it says on the tin.

- Have you got spare unformatted space on the drive, or is it all formatted as SPLAT32 ?

- Make sure you've got a backup, but then you're a good boy and doing regular backups anyway aren't you ?

P.S. If you're in the market for a new backup drive, take a look at the Seagate Nearline Archive 8TB, probably the lowest $/GB in the industry at the moment. Not the fastest drive in the world (a mere 5900rpm !) , not to be used as a high-workload day-to-day system drive, the words "nearline archive" in its name hints as to what its designed for (lots of space, cheaply, but maintaining decent reliability). I've only got one so far, but given they're so cheap I'm thinking of buying a few more to replace other older backup disks where I'm running out of capacity.

(Just remember, the Seagte mentioned above is SMR, so DO NOT use in RAID arrays unless you enjoy Russian Roulette)

Last edited by mixture; 2nd Jun 2015 at 15:08.