PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Less than full power takeoffs?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2015, 14:47
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If we take that the performance data is established from max power ( Not on all types of singles) then going away from that and using less than max power and the takeoff roll and initial climb will be degraded to an unknown factor.

Some high powered singles with a lot of prop torque effect require a lower power setting for the initial take off increasing that power as more air flows over the rudder.

That then beggars the question on lower powered singles do you stand on the brakes releasing them on achieving max power or smoothly increase to max power as speed increases. One is smooth the other much more frenetic for your passenger

Do you stand on the brakes regardless of whether the runway is short or long.

Sometimes in the past there has been an aircraft on finals! ATC ask you to expedite your departure as you enter the runway from the taxiway! Do you taxi out stop and line up on the numbers, hit the brakes and build to max power or start your takeoff slowly increasing power while in a turn to the centreline? to assist separation to the landing aircraft?

i have seen that done by more experienced pilots many times in large jet aircraft as well as small aircraft too! To be shunned on ? accelerating on the turn to the centreline? i.e. do you ever start your takeoff roll while entering the runway from the taxiway? Not advisable with max power so theoretically a reduced power takeoff

Last edited by Pace; 2nd Jun 2015 at 15:19.