PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ext drive FAT32/NTFS formatting question.
Old 2nd Jun 2015, 14:20
Pelikal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ext drive FAT32/NTFS formatting question.

I have an external drive, 232Gb capacity, single partition, formatted FAT32. (I was using this for Mac and Windows file back-up). There is 167Gb of free space on the drive.

I wish to write a Win 7 System Image to this drive but the format needs to be NTFS. Is it possible to create a second partition formatted NTFS on this drive without disturbing the existing FAT32, or is the option for creating two partitions formatted differently only available when formatting from scratch? (I think I'm right that a drive can be formatted this way).

The only tool I have is the standard MS Disk Management. I don't have any spare capacity to write the external data to another drive and reformat the external as I would like it and write the data back to the external.

I believe it is possible to convert the format from FAT32 to NTFS without affecting the data, not sure how reliable this is. I realise I'll lose the Mac usability. Best option is buy another external to use purely for System Images. I suppose I've answered my own question!

The C: drive has about 73 Gb of stuff on it (close to capacity), just wondered how large the System Image is likely to be (to judge how large to make any partitions).

Thanks.