PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Whistling wheelbarrow"
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2015, 12:56
Rossian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excuse an "outsider".....

.....one of the pilots on my Shack course in late '64 had been on the Argosy squadron in Aden and in fact was the captain of the one that "fell in the water". He was, however, not in either of the seats. He was checking the other two guys and, much against his will, he was "instructed" not to occupy either seat because the idea was he was checking them operating as a "crew".
I think he was a tad bitter, as he felt that he had been hung out to dry by the system that, he felt, had put him in an invidious position. It was the first time (but by no means the last) that I saw the effects of "responsibility without authority".

He also talked about one of the copilots who became a bit of a "meat importer" on the runs bringing the sand for OC Africa's golf course to Nairobi and topsoil for OC NEAF's garden. This meat trading developed to the point the co concerned left the RAF and concentrated on the business. Several years later as we maritime pukes passed through Nairobi en route the big island to the east with Mr H as my captain we visited the ex-co in the penthouse office in a tower block now doing very well for himself.
Funny old world, innit?

The Ancient Mariner