PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Fleet Order Speculation
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2015, 12:32
C207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Semantics

Fearcampaign said:

"Interesting that you have cherry picked the first half results which showed almost none of the fuel price drop that will be at least 500 million in the full year results."

No actually it's not interesting... it's pretty boring. The same as the rest of the BS figures thrown around here to support the argument that the LH agreement makes no impact on the success of the company I work for, and therefore will not bear any influence on whether QF mainline finally get the order for some new metal.

I was simply making the point that whilst pilots may not cost much as a proportion of fuel, equipment etc... when tallied up against profits or even losses then to me we have a huge bearing on the success of Qantas... That is of course if you accept profitability as a key measure of the success of a company (as apposed to simply what the total costs a company may have)

Most importantly I believe management see it this way too. And further they have proven they are prepared to do what needs to be be done in order to achieve the desired efficiencies. They won't simply cop a premium on their workforce so they can get on with the the new type without rocking the boat or incurring short term expenses such as redundancies. That was proven when they grounded the airline. Whilst painful at the time it is clear they are playing a long term game. And that is a dangerous thing for an arrogant and privileged pilot group. Because they run this company. And they make the decisions.

I do agree with you though. The aircraft will provide the over arching efficiencies... Just not sure management think "some pilot efficiencies would be a bonus too".. They seem more determined then that..

So whilst the decision for new equipment is one thing. The decision as to who crews is another.

So please argue away on the inaccuracies of the numbers ( I think I actually said myself were from thin air). It's all semantics and there's been plenty of that here already so I don't need to add any further.

However....I can't continue to entertain the fantasy that the LH haul WD/EA is efficient or competitive. Nor that the LH WD/EA award has little or no impact on the bottom line. I won't deny the fact any longer that aircraft with the Qantas banner can't be flown unless flown by a Qantas pilot (what is a Qantas pilot anyway?). I will not argue with the fact that management decide where the Capex is spent. I can not pretend that one entity can not be created to undermine another. I won't look to the courts or some other Devine justice to solve my problems.

It's not personal... It's just business. There is no room for ego here.

Mistakes have been made. On many levels on both sides. And opportunities have been missed.

I really hope things will be different this time.

Last edited by C207; 2nd Jun 2015 at 13:03.